Too long without a message — harrumph. This is our spring break, and I had hoped to do some writing here while I had some time away from teaching. But in this week, I have to:
- Finish an embarrassingly overdue essay called "Tristram Shandy and the Rise of the Novel" for Eighteenth-Century Novel;
- Finish an even more embarrassingly overdue essay called "The Life of Johnson, the Life of Johnson, the Lives of Johnson" for a collection scheduled to come out on the Johnson tercentenary in 2009;
- Read Germaine Greer's Shakespeare's Wife and review it for the Los Angeles Times;
- Evaluate a book proposal for Broadview Press;
- Write the entire comprehensive exam for the students in our MA program;
- Prepare a conference paper for the following week;
- And, just in case the week was looking too leisurely, I was just asked by Cambridge University Press to edit a collection of essays, for which I have to write a long prospectus.